Parkland Valley Sport, Culture and Recreation District (PVSCRD) is launching a project to assess which business and community services and programs could be enhanced or created to promote inclusion of people with dementia and their caregivers. To begin this project, Marilyn Bader will be conducting an environmental scan and needs assessment of business sectors, services and programs in the PVSCRD district.
A needs assessment measures the gap between a current situation and the desired outcomes. Throughout the research:
- the current situation must be assessed;
- the desired outcomes must be clarified and validated by stakeholders; and
- achievable recommendations for bridging the gap between the two are made.
A variety of research techniques are used to compile data during a needs assessment, including literature/online reviews, interviews, focus groups, and surveys. All the data collected will be summarized and shared in a final report with recommendations for moving toward the outcomes.
Within the parameters of PVSCRD’s mandate, the recommendations will be guided by the following overall goals:
- improve public awareness to address issues of dementia stigma and related social isolation;
- support social inclusion for those with dementia and their care partners; and
- improve availability and appropriateness of community supports for people affected by dementia.
If you are interested in learning more about the project, please email Marilyn Bader email@example.com.
Over the course of the next 3 months, Marilyn will be contacting communities to collect information for the needs assessment and conducting a survey and focus groups. Please be on the lookout for further information on how to participate.
If you are interested in learning more about the project, please contact: